Glass recycling is a necessary act that is environmental-friendly and excellent for glass manufacturers. It is common to recycle glass because it does not waste away when left on a pile of trash. It is only logical that glass should be recycled. Recycled glass is sought after by large manufacturers of glass because it can help them save a lot of time and energy in the manufacturing process. Without further ado, let us discuss some glass recycling stats that you might want to know.
Continuous RecyclingGlass can be recycled over and over again without decomposing. Glass manufacturers use recycled glass when they are making end user products. The same type of glass that was used to make glass bottles can be used again and again to produce bottles or other glass products creating a self- sustained and endless cycle.
Less Carbon FootprintA lot of carbon footprint is reduced through glass recycling. For every kilogram of recycled glass, more than one kilo of virgin raw materials is saved. Furthermore, when glass manufacturers use cullet for at least ten percent of their manufacturing process, it saves up to five percent of carbon emissions and about three percent of saved energy compared to not using recycled glass.
Other Stats● Bottles, jars, and other glass products can be recycled endlessly without losing quality.
● Glass is made up of sand, soda ash, limestone, and cullet.
● Cullet is the industry term for recycled glass that is furnace-ready.
● Cullet should be free from all contaminants such as metals, gravel, and stones.
● Recycled glass will always be a part of the process of making new glass. As glass keeps on getting recycled, the more energy companies can save in the long run, making glass recycling profitable and a great return on investment.
● Even though glass containers for food and beverages are 100% recyclable, it cannot be mixed with other glass products. Other kinds of glass products such as windows and pyrex use a different manufacturing process to make. If these other glass products are mixed with glass containers for food and beverages, it could cause manufacturing problems, and there is a high chance for defects in the final product which makes it vital to get cullet from plants that sort and process each color separately.
● One ton of carbon dioxide is reduced for every six tons of recycled glass.
● Glass bottles nowadays are up to forty percent lighter compared to glass used thirty years ago.
● The glass recycling process that companies look for is a rigid one to ensure that each glass plant produces contaminant-free cullet. This will guarantee that the recycled glass is up to standards to be used in the manufacturing of new glass products.
● Curbside collection of glass recyclables usually lead to high participation and volume. But, drop-off and commercial collection programs produce more high-quality glass products compared to the glass coming from curbside collection.
Glass recycling and other types of recycling are vital for keeping our environment Clean and safe. All people should know that glass is infinitely recyclable. We should not waste any kind of glass containers because it can be used over and over again each time using less carbon dioxide emissions which helps our environment. Care for our world, and it will care for you too!